At 6:00 today (Thursday Sept 15), Premier Kenney and Dr. Hinshaw announced that Alberta was re-entering a Public Health Emergency. The Government of Alberta has announced that it is implementing new mandatory province wide restrictions.
Effective the start of the school day on September 16 the following measures will impact schools across Alberta.
- Masking will be mandatory for all gr. 4-12 students plus staff in all grades while in the school building.
o Masking for all students on school buses will remain in effect.
o Masks will not be mandatory during Physical Education classes while students are engaged in sport.
- Cohorting will be reintroduced at elementary schools
- For school based physical activities
- Masks and distancing are not required by youth under 18 while engaged in physical activity.
- Outdoor activities can continue with no restrictions
- Indoor sports, fitness, recreation, and performance activities are permitted in schools, with requirements to maintain 2 metre physical distancing where possible.
- In the specific settings where a mask is required, anyone unable to wear a mask due to a medical condition will require a medical exception letter from an authorized health professional.
- Isolation is still legally required for people who have COVID symptoms or tested positive
- Quarantine is no longer legally required for close contacts of positive cases.
The province has scheduled meetings with school division leaders for September 16th to discuss the implications of these new measures and to provide further clarity.
Full details can be found at https://www.alberta.ca/covid-19-public-health-actions.aspx
We remain committed to timely and transparent communication and will follow up as information becomes available.